March 14, 2008

Bah! Inflation!

Damn it Damn it Damn it.

I told myself when I found this apartment that that was it – I was never moving again. I HATE moving. Hate it. I’d rather continue to live in hell than go through the hassle of moving out.

But my apartment building isn’t making it easy. First, they designated my building as a “non-smoking building,” which would be fine by me if they were being rational about it. But of course they aren’t. “Non-smoking” doesn’t just mean inside apartments or common areas. Nope. It also means on balconies. What the fuck? You can’t smoke on your own balcony? Outside? Are you serious? How will they prove that I’ve been out there?

I understand that smoking is a disgusting habit, and I genuinely don’t want my habit to detract from someone else’s existence in any way, but fuck me if people don’t have a serious entitlement disorder when it comes to shit like this. I mean, in the very worst case scenario I would be out on my balcony smoking when the neighbor who lived directly next to me on the downwind side had their window open and was in their living room on a day where the pressure outside was greater than the pressure inside. In that once a month scenario, that neighbor COULD potentially notice a wisp of smoke coming in to their apartment. Now, for that neighbor I can see how this could be mildly unpleasant. But when you compare every instance of that mild discomfort to the one time HUGE, GAPING, PAINFUL HOLE IN THE CHEST type of discomfort that I will have to go through to move, it’s the equivalent of a paper cut.

But I was going to deal with that. I could see myself moving across the parking lot. It would just require a few cases of beer for my friends. But on top of that they are going to raise my monthly rent. Sigh. So it’s painful admission time – I thought I could afford $1,100 a month by myself. I can’t. Every other part of my existence has to suffer because of it – most notably my credit score as I tend to scrimp on making those payments on time when I simply have no money.

But now they want me to move across the parking lot AND expect me to pay an extra $100 a month…oh hell no.

Thank god for www.rentometer.com

No comments: